For many of us, green bean casserole made with Cream of Mushroom soup and golden, crunchy “Durkees” was (or is) a staple on the Thanksgiving table. The preservatives run high in this classic, which makes this all-natural make-over so appealing. The breadcrumbs, onion and flour jive so well together, you won’t miss the soup can!
- Toss green beans with one tablespoon olive oil until well coated. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onion in olive oil and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the flour, salt, pepper and milk.
- Continue stirring and cook about 3 minute more; cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add the breadcrumbs, and continue to stir until onion mixture resembles a thick sauce
- Remove green beans from the oven and fold in the onion mixture, so that the green beans, onion/breadcrumb mixture are just combined.
- Return to the oven another 10 minutes, so the casserole gets crispy and uniformly hot. Enjoy!